Thursday, June 10, 2010

Residential Life with Summer Scholars

As a Junior in high school, most students don't worry about filing out applications to get admitted to college or even thinking of being admitted to college, but of coarse some of us students in high school want an extra challenge or a new begging to a wonderful summer story. Filing up my suite case was as hard as writing that entrance essay to the program, but after all I'm happy to have lived this experience. As I learned I was accepted I was happy and ready to get out out my house for a full weekend. I thought to myself Yay!! No parents!

Driving off to the residency was full of emotions, I didn't cry but I was sad because I wasn't going to see those who would stay back at home. After checking in that morning, going up the elevator and into my suite was so out of the ordinary. As I opened the first door I said to myself, Omg! I could get used to this. My family helped unpack and soon after that i was changing into gym clothes to go off into an activity.

the camp was very fun, but scary at most parts. the most challenging to me was getting up 45 feet high off the ground. At first I was excited to get up off the ground, but as soon I as I looked down I freaked. As I started finishing the first part I cried of happyness. During the challenge I thought I would die and never be done, but yes finally I said to myself I'm done. I enjoyed everything because I pushed myself.I never though I would do anything that crazy. I learned that if you push yourself to a goal you always get it done as long as you never give up!

The next few days were awesome no parents and curfew was at two a.m. Having to make my own decisions was great, but waking up the next morning was horrible. Making bad decisions like waking up late was not affordable because getting up for class was just the easy part but actually staying awake throughout the lectures was hard. The best part was managing your time and getting things done. College is something unexpected. All the activities were fun. I enjoyed myself a lot. That was the first time I was ever away from home and coming back felt so strange.

Residential life ends up being as fun as you make it. I enjoyed every moment with my peers and the RTA's they helped the most with bringing me up and partying with us was fun. There were times when they got down to our level and tried to understand everything we were asking. The best time I had was when the RTA's joined in and tried to have fun with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment